Monday, November 2, 2009

One thing

As I wait around in Michigan, filling my days with potentially worthwhile activities, I wonder where to go from here.  After a few job interviews I have some prospects (all in Mich).  But I wonder whether I should take the first thing that comes along or hold out for my dream job.  Right now I'm pretty comfortable as far as the necessities of life go.  But my passion and my ambition are all welling up and pissed off and ready to change the world.  As nice as it is to be "home," I think this stay is coming to a close.  I know my family wants me to settle around here, and someday maybe I'll be back.  But I want so much more than a comfortable life.  I don't trust comfort.  It lures you into laziness.  It dulls your ambition.  It keeps you from creating. 

One of my friends has this philosophy on life: you can only have one thing that is your number one priority.  I tried to argue with him at first - I mean, can't you have a career and a family that are equally important to you?  The answer is no.  One of them has to come first.  You can fit a lot of things into your day and therefore a lot of priorities onto your list, but at the end of all of it you can only chase one dream at a time.  That one dream determines your life's direction.  You can follow the boy/girl of your affection to a new place, or you can follow your career somewhere else.  Dreams can coincide but they require someone to compromise something else. 

I dunno what my one thing is.  I think it's a career...or maybe just freedom?   I want to make the world better - that's why I want a career.  I want money so I can be free.  To me freedom = not needing a car, being able to pay student loans, and going on lots of adventures.  The question is how long do I sit in comfort before chasing these dreams?  Is someone going to drop the opportunity in my lap, or do I need the pressure of uncertainty to get myself going?

Ah the coffee-induced musings of a Monday morning.

Love you for reading,

K

1 comment:

nate said...

Sounds like someone needs to go on a journey.